Indian Hill and Montgomery
The Village of Indian Hill is a city in Hamilton County, and an affluent suburb of the Greater Cincinnati area. The population was 5,785 at the 2010 census.Prior to 1970, Indian Hill was incorporated as a village, but under Ohio law became designated as a city once its population was verified as exceeding 5,000. The municipality then changed its name to add “Village” into the official name; legally it is “The City of The Village of Indian Hill”. The Village of Indian Hill is served by the Indian Hill Exempted Village School District (public school district). It has previously been named the “Best Place to Raise a Family” by the magazine Robb Report. Indian Hill began as a farming community, which from about 1904 began to attract Cincinnatians, who bought up its farmhouses as rural weekend destinations. They reached Indian Hill on the Swing Line, a train running between downtown Cincinnati and Ramona Station; the site is now the location of Indian Hill’s administration building at Drake and Shawnee Run roads.
Montgomery is a city in Hamilton County, Ohio, settled in 1796. The town was a coach stop on the Cincinnati-Zanesville Road, later known as the Montgomery Pike, with an inn, two taverns, a grist mill and a carding mill to process its agricultural products. It would remain a rather sleepy hamlet until the 1960s when it became an affluent bedroom community for people working in Cincinnati.It retains its historic downtown with many other 19th-century houses scattered throughout the community. It is currently accessed from exit 15 off Interstate 71 and exit 50 off Interstate 275, and it is the eastern terminus of the Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway about five miles northeast of the Cincinnati city line. The population was 10,251 at the 2010 census. Montgomery is one of the oldest settlements in Hamilton County, almost as old as Columbia-Tusculum. A log cabin was the first tavern of the community; this was a resting place for teamsters and travelers on the main road. In 1806-7 a number of people from Montgomery, New York settled around this point for trade and farming, and named the village for their former home.
The rolling country appealed to a group of four Cincinnati businessmen who had built homes there in the early 1920s and envisioned a more ambitious rural settlement, persuading friends to join them in 1924 in forming the Camargo Realty Co. Camargo assembled 12,000 acres (49 km2) of farmland and divided some into 25-acre (100,000 m2) plots, sold for $75 to $150 per acre, and a district of grand mansions with stables and outbuildings grew up, with kennels that housed the Camargo Hunt. Some were authentic estates, such as the 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) “Peterloon” of John J. Emery, which has since been subdivided into lots as small as 1-acre (4,000 m2). One hundred percent of Indian Hill is zoned as single-family residential or agricultural.